Canadian Filmmakers Distribution Centre (CFMDC) and Cinémathèque québécoise are proud to announce the launch of the Joyce Wieland DVD Box Set. Considered one of Canada’s most respected women artists, Joyce Wieland has an acclaimed international reputation for a unique and impressive body of films spanning three decades, from the early sixties through to the mid-eighties.
A multi-disciplinary artist who produced work in a wide variety of media, Wieland’s intelligent and irreverent explorations of female sexuality, domestic life, ecology and Canadian nationalism put her at the forefront of feminist practice. The DVD Box Set brings together sixteen shorts and two feature films made from new high-definition digital transfers.
This collection will be of vital interest to film- and art-lovers alike, as well as those involved in the fields of film studies and production, visual arts, art history and women’s studies.The full set will be available for 141.25CAN$ and each DVD will also be available separately for 34.99CAN$ each.
The Complete Works Of Joyce Wieland 1963-86
Intro text by Kristy Holmes
Volume 1: Shorts 1963-65
Study guide by Izabella Pruska-Oldenhof
- Larry’s Recent Behaviour (1963 / 16mm / 16:35 min.)
- Peggy’s Blue Skylight (1964 / 16mm / B&W / 12:15 min.)
- Patriotism (1964 / 16mm / 4 min.)
- Patriotism Part II (1965 / 16mm / 3:45 min.)
- Barbara’s Blindness (with Betty Ferguson) (1965 / 16mm / 16:15 min.)
- Water Sark (1965 / 16mm / 13:30 min.)
Total run time: 66:20 min.
Volume 2: Shorts 1967-69
Study guide by Leila Sujir
- 1933 (1967 / 16mm / 3:50 min.)
- Sailboat (1967 / 16mm / 2:45 min.)
- Cat Food (1967 / 16mm / 13:30 min.)
- Handtinting (1967-68 / 16mm / silent / 6 min.)
- Rat Life and Diet in North America (1968 / 16mm / 16 min.)
- Dripping Water (with Michael Snow) (1969 / 16mm / B&W / 10:22 min.)
Total run time: 52:27 min.
Volume 3: Shorts 1972-86
Study guide by Allyson Mitchell
- Pierre Vallières (1972 / 16mm / 32:30 min.)
- Solidarity (1973 / 16mm / 10:40 min.)
- A & B in Ontario (with Hollis Frampton) (1984 / 16mm / B&W / 16:05 min.)
- Birds at Sunrise (1986 / 16mm / 10:15 min.)
Total run time: 69:30 min.
Volume 4: La raison avant la passion (Reason Over Passion) (1969)
Study guide by Anne Low
Running Time: 83:40 min.
Volume 5: The Far Shore (1976)
Study guide by Johanne Sloan
Running Time: 105 min.